Friday, September 11, 2015

SIDEWALK SIGNATURES 
Herbert G. Schiewe

Long Beach’s sidewalks contain impressed “signatures” of many contractors who plied their trade in the city. If your ancestor owned a construction company or worked for one of those cement contractors, our “Sidewalk Signatures” series will be of interest to you. 

photo: QHGS

Herbert “H. G.” Schiewe was a cement contractor working in Long Beach when his daughter was born. Her birth record from 1924, posted on the FamilySearch website, gave the following information: “Father: Herbert G. Schiewe, age 22, born Oregon; Mother: Aileen Etta Holman, age 22, born Idaho; both living at 4140 Colorado Avenue in Long Beach; father’s occupation cement contractor.” Herbert died in 1948. He is buried with his wife in Skyline Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Portland, Oregon. 

2 comments:

  1. I just came upon this today. His second daughter, Muriel Jane Schiewe, is my mother. Herbert, my grandfather, died in a storm at sea, off the Oregon Coast in 1948. Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came upon this today. Herbert's second daughter, Muriel Jane Schiewe, is my mother. He, my grandfather, also built many houses in the north Portland, Oregon area, where the family originated. He died before I was born, in a storm at sea off the Oregon Coast in 1948. Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete